Organic Chocolate Stout
Chocolate beautifully melded to stout - deep, aromatic, and satisfying.
The History of Organic Chocolate Stout
Innovators in Certified Organic beers, Samuel Smith began to ship the first organic beers to the US in the mid-1990s. Organic Cider and Organic fruit beers followed starting in 2007, and after many months of test brews & intensive tasting Organic Chocolate Stout was released in September, 2012. UK Soil Association and USDA Certified Organic.
A note about the label: the term "Theobroma cacao" that appears on the label is the scientific name for the cacao tree, and the illustration is of the pod from this tree, source of chocolate.
Full body; roasted barley flavor; fruity notes from the Samuel Smith yeast strain support lush chocolate aroma, taste & finish.
Great with a bowl of mixed nuts, with sharp cheeses, or with a classic molé sauce entrée. For dessert, try with complementary white, milk or dark chocolate; hazelnut biscotti; or chocolate mousse. Contrast with citrus crème caramel or vanilla ice cream. A glass of Organic Chocolate Stout is a treat with an addition of 10% Lindemans Framboise lambic. Serve at 50 °F.
4/5 Stars, Highly Recommended, Spirit Journal, December 2016
Ratebeer.com: 97 points (January 2017)
Best Chocolate Beers, Men's Journal
95 points - "immediately attractive and well-balanced." Wine Enthusiast Magazine, Dec. 2014. Full review here.
Five out of five stars, Celebrator Beer News, October/November 2014.
2014 US Open - Gold Medal - Chocolate/Cocoa Beer
Gold Medal - World Beer Championships (March, 2013)
Five of five mugs, "Superb," Modern Brewery Age, Dec. 10, 2012.
Product Sizes and Quantities
- 18.7 ounce (550 ml) "Victorian Pint" bottles / 12 per case
- 12 ounce (355 ml) bottles / 6 - 4 packs per case
ABV: 5.0% - OG: 1.059 - IBU: 28
Ingredients: Water, organic barley malt, organic cane sugar, organic hops, organic cocoa, yeast.
Nutritional info: Serving Size - 12 oz. (355 ml). Calories: 220; Total Fat 0 g (0% Daily Value); Sodium 10 mg (0% DV); Total Carbohydrates 21 g (7% DV); Sugars 6 g; Protein 2 g (4% DV). (Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie daily diet.)
The Beers & Ciders
- Imperial Stout
- India Ale
- Nut Brown Ale
- Oatmeal Stout
- Organic Pale Ale
- Organic Apricot Ale
- Organic Cherry Ale
- Organic Chocolate Stout
- Organic Cider
- Organic Perry (Pear Cider)
- Organic Raspberry Ale
- Organic Strawberry Ale
- Pure Brewed Organic Lager
- Gift Box
- Taddy Porter
- Winter Welcome Ale
- Yorkshire Stingo
- Samuel Smith's Brewery website
- Samuel Smith Salute
- Organic Choc Stout + Lindemans Framboise "For That Occasion" product sheet
- Organic Chocolate Stout retail shelf talker
- Samuel Smith family product sheet
- Smith Chocolate Stout & Lindemans Framboise 11" x 17" poster
- Samuel Smith UK Soil Association Organic Certification (Expires May 31, 2017)
- EU list of organic certifying agencies, showing UK Soil Association.
- USDA Nat'l Organic Program page, showing USA & UK equivalence agreement.